The renovation created a new entry pavilion on the south elevation. This leaves both the pre-existing entries on the east and west side of the building intact for building egress. A new entry terrace surrounds the entry pavilion identifying the new entry and creating exterior program space. A combination of ramps and sloped walkways gradually rise to meet the existing building floor elevation. A new glass pavilion of minimal construction is sensitively integrated into the existing building. Two existing windows on the South elevation are modified to accommodate new doors thus creating an energy efficient air lock outside of the existing building.
A new double height entry lobby with an elevator joins the space between the two stair halls. The opening between the 1st and 2nd floor allows building occupants to catch a glimpse of the existing timber framed 2nd floor ceiling. The lobby is adjacent to a new multipurpose space. Movable partition walls allow for ultimate flexibility for display and room partitioning. The 2nd floor Great Hall remains much like the original with the exception of proposed changes to the platform and balcony areas. The existing rose window on the north elevation has been uncovered and viewed from the Great Hall for the first time since 1936.
A new mechanical vault is located below grade and outside of the building adjacent to the basement. The basement houses the public toilets, a catering kitchen, and storage. A new service drive at the northeast corner of the building was established for deliveries to the basement level. The total cost for the project was about $21 million.
Project completed: 61,595 work hours
Women: 6% work hours
People of Color: 17.6% work hours
Owners Project Manager: STV – Evan Warner
Construction Manager: Barr & Barr
Construction Timeline: May 2015 – October 2016